Being grateful for what we don’t want, allows us to learn something new from it. It turns whatever ‘we have’ into ‘enough’ and turns ‘denial’ into ‘acceptance’.
The attitude of Gratitude
- Keeps us self centred
- Increases well-being
- Attracts what we want
- Improves relationship
- Unlocks the fullness of life
- Improves problem solving skills
- Improves sleep, increases energy levels and boosts health.
Gratitude can be cultivated
Gratitude comes through grace but the awareness of all that we have, without asking for them, make us feel grateful. Being grateful in daily life truly elevates our level of happiness. An attitude of gratitude changes the way we see ourselves and the world.
The expression of gratitude inspires and transforms others. Gratitude starts expressing through them. They become humble and more forgiving. They feel more connected to the society.
What to be grateful for in life
- Be grateful for that you don’t have then only you can look forward.
- Be grateful for your limited knowledge so that you can still learn.
- Be grateful for difficulties, limitations in life because it gives us opportunity to grow.
- Be grateful for mistakes as they provide valuable lessons.
- Always find a way to be grateful for because it becomes our blessings. It expands our capacity to feel joy and infuses a deeper dimension into our living.
After a negative event, remember that every difficulty carries within it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. When faced with adversity, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is good about this?
- What can I learn from this?
- How can I benefit from this?
- Is there something about this situation that I can be grateful for?
Things you take for granted
Imagine losing some of the things that you take for granted, such as your home, your ability to see or hear, your ability to walk, or anything that currently gives you comfort. Then imagine getting each of these things back, one by one, and consider how grateful you would be for each and every thing.
We blame our circumstances during moments of distress and take our blessings for granted.
Ways to express gratitude
- Make a gratitude journal and at the end of the day. Write in it about the five things or people or situations that you can be grateful for.
- Appreciate others on daily basis for every small things done by them.
- Reflecting on the positive things that happened to you.
- Giving thanks and to recognizing the hard work of the farmers, grocers and all concerned person making it possible the food to come to your table and to serve your hunger.
Ask certain things to yourself daily
- What touched me today?
- Who or what inspired me today?
- What made me smile today?
- What’s the best thing that happened today?
We blame our circumstances during moments of distress and take our blessings for granted. Making a list of reasons we were grateful for, helps us to appreciate how fortunate we were and reminding this on daily basis helps us to keep negativity at bay.
If we practice attitude of gratitude, our life transforms.